Monday, June 16, 2008

"The Heart of Worship"

Last week I received an email from our church’s minister of music who asked me to play a solo on my sax this Sunday. The song is called "The Heart of Worship." It’s one of the most well known Christian Praise and Worship songs, yet I wasn’t really thrilled about it because it is such a basic melody and I was concerned that I really couldn’t do anything melodic to make the song glorious to God without lyrics. Then I read the lyrics again.



when the music fades
all is stripped away
and I simply come
longing just to bring
something that's of worth
that will bless your heart

I bring you more than a song
for a song in itself
is not what you have required
you search much deeper within
through the way things appear
you're looking into my heart

I'm coming back to the heart of worship
and it's all about you
It's all about you, Jesus
I'm sorry Lord for the thing I’ve made it
when it's all about you
it's all about you, Jesus

King of endless worth
no one could express
how much you deserve
though I’m weak and poor
all I have is yours
every single breath

WOW! After reading them, I realized how selfish I was in MY desires about the solo. I therefore repented of those desires and determined to let God have total control of my planning, practicing and performance. I had to make it about God’s heart and not mine. My new desire is that my worship strives to give honor and glory to God’s heart. My prayer is that I perform first to God and then to the congregation.

God’s heart of worship for himself is simply allowing his children to praise him. That’s why his word says "Make a joyful noise to the Lord" – Psalm 98

Like most Christian musicians, I tend to want to put to much emphasis on getting everything done just right when it comes to performing. The song, the performance, the emotional tone....and that’s okay, because we want to give God our very best. However, like most Christian musicians, I usually have to remind myself of who the Worship is for. It’s not me, you, or anyone else. It is all about the worship of God.

Think about this. What if a worshipper can’t speak? He can worship with his hands. What about those that don’t have the use of hands? God desires worship with their feet. What of those who can’t use feet? Then it comes down to the heart. At the very least, they can worship with their heart. The heart is mentioned first in the “Greatest Commandment” after all.

To emphasize the message of the song, my prayer is that when the music fades, all will be stripped away and I simply am longing just to bring something that's of worth to You. I'm so sorry for the thing I've made this, Father, when it's all about Your glory. Though I'm weak and poor, all I have is yours. I’m bringing You more than just this song, for a song in itself is not what You require. You know me much deeper within and it’s my heart that needs You.

No comments: